Welcome

Welcome to my blog! If you are a new visitor, please click here.

Friday, November 17, 2023

A Milestone

 BEHOLD Hixonites. I HAVE RETURNED from my cave of hyperfocus. And I bring tidings of joy!

I have finished the rough draft of my third book! At the moment it is a little over 50k words long. I was getting a bit worried there, but I’m sure it will get longer once I go through it again.

That means in 2023 I have written and mostly edited a book (my second, “Fate & Fortune”), written a children’s book (working with the author, my good friend Monica Marier, on the pictures for it, “Brian Buys a Brachiosaurus”), recorded an audiobook, written several small “bathroom reader” type books (rough drafts), and finished the rough draft of another book (Book #3, “A Date with Destiny”)! And it’s only mid-November!

As soon as my cover artist finishes and the formatting is completed, I will also be able to say that I published my first book! I’ll be a published novelist!

I cannot express how pumped I am about this, not to mention how proud I am of myself.

So, I have a month and a half until 2024. What shall I accomplish?

Here’s a list of things I could tackle:

  • finish editing Book #2 and send it off to an editor
  • hire a cover artist for Book #2
  • get my website up and running
  • make ads for Book #1 and figure out how to get them out there
  • look into events where I can sell (probably author signings and the like—getting a table will have to wait until I have more products to sell)
  • “master” the audio for my audiobook and figure out how to get it set up
  • record audio for Book #2 OR look into Forteller and see how that process works and its cost
  • figure out this whole “social media” thing to start getting my name out there more
  • get some short stories into some publications to start getting my name out there more
  • look into ARC readers (do I need them?)
  • start writing Book #4 (which I’ve already outlined and am SUPER stoked about writing—it continues the story of Scribble and Paul from Book #1. It will be titled “A Sinister Hope”)
  • start writing Book #4 (a creative nonfiction piece I’ve been trying to write for years. obviously whichever one I decide to write first will be #4)
  • figure out how to link ads to Amazon in such a way that it increases my profits
  • edit, format, and finish the bathroom readers
  • write more bathroom readers (I’m planning a series of them that, who knows, might become a compendium)
  • write and record music to play at the start and end of the audiobook
I clearly will not be able to do all, or even most, of these things in the next month and a half, so I will need to prioritize. And I have several other novels in mind that I want to get to after these, so from the look of things, I have my work cut out for me.

Oh yeah, there’s also Thanksgiving and Christmas, the Board Game Rundown, and family obligations. In addition, my father has Lewy Body Dementia (and probably Alzheimer’s). He’s currently in hospice and we do not know how long he has. For all the wonderful things happening right now, there are some pretty unpleasant ones, too.

Until next time, keep reading, keep creating, and have a happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment