Welcome

Welcome to my blog! If you are a new visitor, please click here.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ideas

I like to think of myself as an "idea man." I am constantly having minor inspirations for stories, commercials, characters, etc. So for me, coming up with ideas is not an issue in my writing. It's focussing them. I can't turn off the ideas. This is probably in part due to my being ADHD. It also makes organizing things a little difficult, because once I get a thought in my head, I need to write it down before it gets away. This happened to me yesterday - I had what I know was a fantastic inspiration for a notable quote... and I took too long to write it down. It is gone now, likely forever. I usually write them in a small notebook I keep with me at all times (a Moleskine, gotta love it) or on Google Docs. Google Docs is a wonderful tool - check it out. And when Google Wave comes out, check it out too.

But I digress. I may, once in a while, share a thought with this blog just for the heck of it. Maybe someone else will like my ideas. Someday I'll actually get back to telling you all about where I stand in terms of being published. Someday.

This morning I was contemplating being asked on the bat to come up with a commercial for a random product. The first thing that popped into my mind was diapers - Pampers. I have to admit, at first I didn't think I'd be able to actually make a commercial for it in less than 5 minutes. But it happened about 2 minutes in.

Simple commercial, just one scene, one shot, with words changing on the screen. The shot is of a baby sitting on a toilet holding a newspaper or something of the like in front of it, covering all but his hands and feet. The words show up "Until your baby can do this" then "Pampers".

I don't know, I think as far as a commercial goes it would be successful. It would be memorable, slightly funny, and the brand name might just stick out enough to be recalled later. What do you all think?


In other news, my brother and I are working together on his blog, Weakly Animated. At first his idea was to make an animation every week, like Jonathan Coulton was writing a song a week. Now it's one per month, with an update weekly. It's spelled "Weakly" because in a rushed state like that, they will be a bit weak, but they'll get stronger. Anyway, I am writing the animations and he is actually drawing and animating them. The first animatic (a simple "test" of sorts, like a rough draft) is up! I've had this idea for a while, originally as a Snickers commercial. It has had several different endings over the years, but I am proud of this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment